The farm on which Stettyn Cellar is situated, is steeped in history and tradition dating back to 1714. In that year, Governor Chavonnes of the Dutch East India Company ceded the original farm to Free Burghers Cloete and Radyn, whose ancestors originated from the Stettin area, in the former Prussia. The Cape Dutch homestead, which dates back to 1777, was the original house occupied by the first permanent settlers. It was restored and is now a National Monument.
Stettyn was acquired by the Botha family in 1818 and has been in the family for 8 generations. The Stettyn Cellar itself was established in 1963, with the vineyards of Stettyn, Jonkersrivier and De Hoek being the primary sources of production and where the tradition of wine making dates back many years.